I went to this thing, attached is my take.Mayor Foster has formed a Redlands Rail Project subcommittee. He has appointed Harrison and Gilbreath to head this up. Subsequent to this SanBag is organizing a focus group to promote the rail project. They are inviting “you to apply to participate as a member of a focus group to provide input, insights and feedback that will help shape the future of the brand for the new rail service”… You must be a willing to participate in brainstorming, have respect for others, be honest and a desire to see the project be inclusive and represent Redlands and San Bernardino… This all sounds like the Delphi method to make people think they had something to do with the rail project. Remember, $500,000 of your tax dollars has been allocated to this brainwashing.
This is scheduled for May 17th. If you want to apply go to firstname.lastname@example.org.You will need to be brave as the libs will be out in force.
If you attend remember:
1. The train will cross intersections in the city over 550 time every day!
2. There has been no study done to mitigate the havoc these crossings will have on traffic flow and emergency response efforts. SanBag spent $11 million on the Environmental Impact Report and NEVER addressed this issue. Why?
3. SanBag says the train cost $250 million. This is not true. When the interest costs on the bonds of $98,000,000 + are included the project is coming in at $348,546,000. Why is this interest cost being hidden from the public?
4. SanBag estimates that the yearly operating costs will be $6-8 million. The fairbox revenues will never come close to matching either of these numbers. SanBag has not assigned a cost to ride the train from the UR to San Bernardino Transit center. No one knows how much this operation will need to be subsidized by the taxpayer every year yet it continues to roll on.
5. The cost to police the Redlands stations has never been addressed. Why?
6. The train will disrupt the common cohesion of the city further dividing it into the North and South sides. Why is this issue never addressed?
7. The council has never addressed the issue of high density housing along the rail line. Why?
I know that none of these issues will be broached at the focus group meeting. The moderators will want sweep all this under the rug. But if volunteer for the focus group keep in mind the above issues.
If you volunteer it will be an opportunity to see Classic Delphi at work.