Tea Party Principles Speech Contest
1st Place $2000, 2nd Place $1000, 3rd Place $500
The Tea Party movement seeks to restore and preserve the freedom and opportunity for all Americans and their children and grandchildren to pursue their American dreams through the following principles:
Tea Party Principles
- Personal freedom with constitutionally limited government.
- Economic freedom with opportunity for all and favoritism for none.
- A debt free future through fiscal responsibility today.
We believe the Tea Party principles were an essential part of making America great, free and prosperous and are essential to restoring and keeping America great, free and prosperous. Many people attack the Tea Party but never mention the Tea Party principles. Hence, contest to get people to read and consider the Tea Party principles. The contest will also provide young people with public speaking experience.
Please see the following rules and procedures including judging criteria and prizes and recognition and/or download the file containing the rules and procedures.
The registration form and flyer re available for download below.
Please share this page and the flyer with your friends and family.
For more information, contact Carolyn@RedlandsTeaParty.net or call 909.335.7335.
Rules and Procedures
1. Contest is open to all persons ages 14-19. Students from public, private, church, home schools and college are eligible. Contestants do not have to be students. Semi-Finalists and Finalists will need to show proof of age.
2. Speeches will address the Tea Party principles answering the following:
a. Are the Tea Party principles valid today or should they be changed?
b. Will the Tea Party principles make my life and the lives of my friends and family and the next generation better?
c, Why or why not?
3. To enter, do the following:
a. Download and submit the registration form as soon as possible to Carolyn@RedlandsTeaParty.net. A parent or guardian must sign the consent on the registration form for contestants under 18 years old. The signed parental consent forms can be emailed to Carolyn@RedlandsTeaParty.net faxed to 909.335.7337 or mailed to 707 Brookside Avenue, Redlands, CA 92373. You can download the registration form below.
b. Submit a video speech that complies with these rules not later than April 1, 2016. You may do so by emailing a link to your speech on YouTube, Facebook or other online platform to Carolyn@RedlandsTeaParty.net or mailing or delivering a flash drive or other media containing the speech to Gregory W. Brittain, 707 Brookside Avenue, Redlands, CA 92373. If you choose the latter option, we must receive the speech by April 1, 2016.
4. The Tea Party Principles Speech Contest is limited to the first 50 contestants who submit registration forms and speeches that comply with these rules.
5. We will offer two advisory, Q&A, mentoring meetings on Tuesday, March 8, 2016, 6:30 p.m. and Saturday, March 26, 2016, 10:00 a.m. RSVP your attendance to Carolyn@RedlandsTeaParty.net [If there are no RSVPs, we will cancel the sessions.]
6. We do not intend to grade the video quality, but we need to be able to understand what you are saying and see facial expressions and body language.
7. Speeches shall be no less than five (5) minutes and no more than (8) minutes. Finalists may extend their speeches to ten (10) minutes.
8. Contestants are responsible for getting themselves to semi-final and final rounds at their expense.
9. Contestants may use written notes but not audio or visual materials.
10. Contestants will be disqualified if not present when their speech is scheduled to begin, or if their speech is profane, obscene, unpatriotic, or racist.
11. From the 50 video speeches, we will select 12 to compete in the semifinals to be held on Saturday, April 23, 2016. We will notify the semifinalists by email on or before April 16, 2016. If any contestants cannot present their speeches on Saturday because of religious observance, they may do so on Sunday, April 24, 2016. Please notify us with your video speech if you cannot attend semi-finals on Saturday, April 23.
12. Semi-finals will take place at 707 Brookside Avenue, Redlands, CA 92373, starting at 10:00 a.m.
13. We will select six (6) finalists to compete at the Redlands Tea Party Patriots meeting on Thursday, May 5, 2016, starting at 7:00 p.m. at Mill Creek Cattle Co., 1874 Mentone Blvd., Mentone, CA. Winners will be announced at the meeting.
14. We will offer a final advisory, Q&A, mentoring meeting for finalists on Saturday, April 30, 2016, 10:00 a.m. at 707 Brookside Avenue, Redlands, CA 92373. RSVP your attendance to Carolyn@RedlandsTeaParty.net [If there are no RSVPs, we will cancel the session.]
15. Finalist speeches shall be not less than five (5) minutes and not more than ten (10) minutes.
16. Semi-finalists and finalists consent to the Redlands Tea Party Patriots using, publishing and displaying their speeches and images. Contestants will sign a consent form so providing. A parent or guardian must sign the consent form for contestants under 18 years old.
17. Any protest relative to the conduct of a contestant or the operation of the contest, must be made to the chairperson of that particular contest before the winners are announced. The decision of the chairperson will be final.
The judges shall seat themselves apart from each other and must not communicate about their evaluations of speakers until all contestants have spoken and have been scored.
After a 10 second grace period, penalty points will be deducted from a contestant’s score at the rate of five (5) points for each fifteen (15) seconds or fraction thereof a contestant is over or under the time limits.
19. Judging Criteria:
a. Content: (0-20 points) Introduction, originality, organization, conclusion.
b. Delivery: (0-20 points) Voice control, articulation, enunciation, diction, body language (gestures, facial expression.)
c. Integrity of the topic content and topic integration throughout body of the speech – (0-30 points) Contestants must answer the questions regarding the Tea Party principles and show they understand, not necessarily agree with, the Tea Party principles.
d. Overall appeal and IMPACT persuasiveness. (0-30 points)
e. In (a) and (c), contestants must answer the questions regarding the Tea Party principles and show they understand, not necessarily agree with, the Tea Party principles.
20. Prizes and recognition:
a. Prize Money: 1st $2000; 2nd $1000, 3rd $500.
b. Internships with State Senator Mike Morrell and Assembly member Marc Steinorth. Winners must meet the age and schedule requirements of the legislators and are responsible for transpiration to and from the legislators’ offices.
c. Finalists will receive a video of their speech.
d. The 1st place speech will be played or given on Unite IE Radio on AM 590 The Answer. Other media opportunities as we can arrange.
e. Other goodies and amenities as we can arrange.
21. We reserve the right to modify these rules.
Rules and Procedures